Thursday, February 23, 2017

February Feelings

I have a two-year-old daughter. While I feel like I should say I can hardly believe it, part of me has felt like she has been two since Christmas. She's definitely mature and smart for her age, though she is still short as far as percentile goes. Paige is so full of life, and I love watching her do things. She is so funny and fun and just straight up adorable. She sings and dances to music, she plays pretend with her toys (Stephen has officially had his first tea party with Paige), she loves being a helper and doing chores and cooking with mommy, and she is a chatterbox and wants to learn new words all the time. She knows all her letters and numbers, but only has about half of the colors down (everything is either blue, green, or purple). She says her own prayers now without much, if any, coaching from us. 

For Paige's birthday, I hosted a Frozen themed party. We invited a few of her nursery friends from the neighborhood to come play on a Saturday morning. I had fun decorating our basement with streamers, banners, and snowflakes. I served a few snacks that I tied into the theme, like Sven's Snacks for carrots, and the Fjords for blue jello. The kids played with "snowballs" made from crumpled paper, did a pin-the-nose-on-Olaf game, and danced with streamers to "Let It Go." We had cupcakes and Paige opened presents. Overall, it was a great party, and a special treat for Paige to have so many friends over at once.

Stephen and I also celebrated a nice Valentines Day. We've decided to try splitting the holidays so that one of us is in charge of V-day and one is in charge of our anniversary in August. I was the one that planed Valentines day this year. I kept things pretty simple though. We stayed home and had a nice dinner together as a family. I attempted to make steak, and it turned out pretty well. I also made a chocolate berry cobbler (delicious). Once Paige was in bed, Stephen and I rearranged our living room furniture to be able to play games on our TV and have the controllers reach. We played a game Stephen likes called Overcooked.

Stephen indulged me for Valentines day by joining me in facials. We made a promise not to take pictures, and the charcoal seaweed junk we had all over our faces really didn't make us very photogenic anyway. It was a fun, relaxing night. I also surprised Stephen with a commissioned artwork of dragons which he really loved and was meaningful to him and me. He's not an easy person to shop for, so I was proud of coming up with the idea.

I'm still sick with this pregnancy for baby boy. I vomit most days. I haven't gone more than three days without vomiting since September. I also get strong heartburn and indigestion, and the symptom known as "round ligament pain" is now a part of my existence constantly. Also, I'm practicing getting up several times at night, but right now, it's just to go to the bathroom.

I don't know why my body really struggles with being pregnant, but I get a lot of the really bad side effects that are unfortunately normal. Whoever is in charge of this whole Women's Rights things really ought to focus on getting medical help for pregnant ladies, because there's so little done to treat any discomforts. My midwives are sympathetic, but say that the cure is labor and delivery. Some days, I feel like we're going to have a small family due to the roughness of the nine months on my body. But I know it's temporary, and that the end blessing is eternal and very much worth it. It would just be nice to not vomit anymore. 

Stephen is doing well at work. He got a nice bonus for the end of the year that is just now coming into our bank account (most of it goes to paying for baby and paying off my student loan). He also talked with his supervisors and got a nice raise, which most of is going to saving for a second car. However, the need for another car has decreased since Stephen found out a neighbor on our street works in the office building next to Stephen's. He also has the same 8-4 schedule, so Stephen has been able to get rides with him. It's very nice for all of us. I get to have the car now most days, which allows Paige and me to get out of the house more. 

Lately, since the weather is still cold, I've been taking Paige to play places at McDonald's or Chick-fil-A. She absolutely loves it. She thinks she's one of the big kids and loves to go down the large slides all by herself. She plays well without much supervision, which is really nice, and I feel like she's much safer since she's indoors and contained. I also love that she can get some energy out without me being her only source of entertainment, because, let's be honest, I'm far more tired than she'll ever be.

Overall, life is pretty routine now, which is good. I'm both looking forward to the end of my pregnancy and enjoying the time I have left with Paige as my only child. We still haven't decided on a name for baby boy, but we do have a few more months left to think it out. I'm personally ready for Spring to come, but seeing as it snowed all day today and is predicted to do so again tomorrow, we'll have to settle for more Winter. Meanwhile, I'll continue to work on growing a human, and maybe one day, my body will actually look pregnant rather than just extra fat. And maybe one day, if I'm really lucky, I won't be sick anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment